Client Login

Missing Your W-2?

W-2_Bryant & AssociatesDid you get your W-2? These documents are essential to filling out most individual tax returns. You should receive a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from each of your employers each year. Employers have until January 31, 2013 to provide or send you a W-2 earnings statement either electronically or in paper form.  You should allow two weeks to receive your W-2 from employers who send them by mail.If you misplaced your W-2, contact your employer. Your employer can send another W-2.  Be aware that your employer is allowed to charge you a fee for providing you with a new W-2.

If you have not received your W-2, follow these three steps:

1. Contact your employer first.  Ask your employer – or former employer – to send your W-2 if it has not already been sent. Make sure your employer has your correct address.

2. Contact the IRS.  After February 14, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 if you have not yet received your W-2. Be prepared to provide your name, address, Social Security number and phone number. You should also have the following information when you call:

  •  Your employer’s name, address and phone number;
  • Your employment dates; and
  • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2012, based upon your final pay stub, if available.

3. File your return on time.  You should still file your tax return on or before April 15, 2013, even if you have not yet received your W-2. File Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, in place of the W-2. Use the form to estimate your income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. The IRS may delay processing your return while it verifies your information.

If you need more time to file you can get a six-month extension of time. File Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File US Individual Income Tax Return.  If you are requesting an extension, you must file this form on or before April 15, 2013.

You may receive the missing W-2 after filing your tax return.  If the information on the W-2 is different from what you reported using Form 4852, then you must correct your tax return. File Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return to amend your tax return.

Forms and instructions are available at or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

Share 'Missing Your W-2?' on Delicious Share 'Missing Your W-2?' on Digg Share 'Missing Your W-2?' on Facebook Share 'Missing Your W-2?' on Google+ Share 'Missing Your W-2?' on LinkedIn Share 'Missing Your W-2?' on Pinterest Share 'Missing Your W-2?' on reddit Share 'Missing Your W-2?' on StumbleUpon Share 'Missing Your W-2?' on Twitter Share 'Missing Your W-2?' on Add to Bookmarks Share 'Missing Your W-2?' on Email Share 'Missing Your W-2?' on Print Friendly


About Kim Bryant

Kim Bryant, CPA at Bryant & Associates, PC has more than 25 years experience in Nebraska and Iowa small business taxes, accounting and financial issues. Kim has spent her career working in all aspects of accounting and business management, from working in two local CPA firms and owning Bryant & Associates, PC since 2001. Kim’s staff of accounting specialists specialize in helping small businesses grow and plan for new opportunities. For more information, call 402.423.0404 or visit the website at

Comments are closed.